Solange‘s latest, A Seat at the Table, is already drawing whispers as a potential top 10 album contender. With its quality R&B production and intention to provoke joy and healing while taking the listener on a “journey of self-empowerment,” the project is not one to be missed. Lil’ Wayne, Sampha, The Dream, BJ The Chicago Kid, Q-Tip and Kelly Rowland also offer incentive to listen below via Spotify.
Released 2 days early, YG excited fans by dropping his sophomore album, Still Brazy. A more in-depth continuation of My Krazy Life, the Compton rapper touches on police brutality, crime in the streets and his life since being shot at an LA recording studio. The West Coast production (featuring Lil’ Wayne, Nipsey Hussle and Drake) successfully puts a contemporary spin on G Funk and features plenty of bangers perfect for summer. Listen to the entire project here.
After stealing the show from Kanye West on the Gospel-inspired “Ultralight Beam,” Chance the Rapper picks up right where he left off. Coloring Book is a glorious project filled with uplifting lyrics and downright positivity that is often overlooked in Hip Hop’s landscape. Featuring Ye, Justin Bieber, Kirk Franklin, Lil’ Wayne and Lil’ Yachty, the album has already being praised for being celebratory and colorful. Listen to the entire project via AudioMack below.
Curren$y has kept busy grinding this year dropping three projects including Even More Saturday Night Car Tunes, Cathedral, and Pilot Talk III. His latest, Canal Street Confidential, boasts features from from Future, Lil’ Wayne, Lloyd, August Alsina, Ty Dolla $ign and Wiz Khalifa. Stream the entire 13-track project below.
460. Lil’ Wayne once arrived to a party late and got scolded by Stevie Wonder for talking during his piano performance. (2:33 mark)
459. 50 Cent moved from the bedroom in his grandmother’s house directly into Mike Tyson’s old mansion after the success of Get Rich or Die Tryin‘.1
458. The Gucci pair of flip flops Future raps about on “Thought It Was a Drought” were borrowed by his grandmother and were never returned.2
457. Aaliyah was supposed to be in the The Matrix Reloaded.3
456. Growing up, Method Man played 4 years of lacrosse and 5 years of football.4
455. Wu-Tang was slang for Olde English in RZA‘s Stapleton neighborhood & he used it as inspiration for the Clan’s name.5
454. Nas‘ Stillmatic was recorded in LA, the Bahamas, Atlanta and was finished in NY. (4:18 mark)
453. The Neptunes recorded Jay Z‘s “I Just Wanna Love U (Give It 2 Me)” and “Southern Hospitality” the same night.6
452. Travis $cott‘s “Maria I’m Drunk” came about after Justin Bieber Facetimed him from Hawaii hoping to work together.7
451. Nate Dogg stated he never walked into Death Row studio without a gun and saw someone get their ass beat at least once a week. (29:45 mark and 29:51 mark)
Months ago, Lil’ Wayne referred to the Free Weezy Album as his best work, and now it has dropped exclusively on Tidal, but you can listen to it here. Guest appearances include Cory Gunz, Jeezy, Wiz Khalifa and production is provided by Cool & Dre, Infamous, Kane Beatz, London, and Reefa Beats.
My latest article for Only Hip Hop Facts: 10 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Lil Wayne‘s Tha Carter III. Read here.
The XXL Freshmen cover was revealed. (Read More)
Lil’ Wayne joined TIDAL (as a co-owner). (Read More)
Chris Brown was reportedly removed from a flight for smoking marijuana. (Read More)
The widow of Suge Knight‘s alleged hit-and-run victim is suing Dr. Dre. (Read More)
Janet Jackson will release her new album under her newly formed label Rhythm Nation. (Read More)
A leaked contract revealed SoundCloud‘s plans for subscription service. (Read More)
It feels like the last time we heard Lil’ Wayne spit bars like this, was when fans were anxiously anticipating The Carter III in 2008. Listen Weezy’s new track “Glory” co-produced by Avenue Beatz, Infamous, and Onhel. Though the track dropped exclusively for TIDAL members, you can listen to the song here.
Suspect in Lil’ Wayne bus shooting turned himself in. (Read More)
Wayne also attempted to attack referee at a St. Louis Charity basketball game. (Read More)
Drake and Pharrell have been confirmed for Apple’s revamped music service (minus that $19 million payday). (Read More)
Kanye West honored Pharrell Williams with Fashion Icon Award at the CFDA Awards. (Read More)
Nick Young and Iggy Azalea are engaged. (Read More)
Jay Z shared his first ever playlist on TIDAL. (Read More)
A$AP Rocky confirmed a posthumous A$AP Yams album is in the works. (Read More)
USC‘s Hip Hop School of Arts is the first of its kind. (Read More)
Geto Boys are reuniting and may have a new album on the way. (Read More)
Fabolous welcomed a new son. (Read More)
Tom Hanks’ son uses the N-Word on social media and in his music. (Read More)